Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Time Out for Swedish Massage

Hello again, everyone!
I am going to do a series of blogs describing the types of massage I specialize in. I am going to start with the easiest first.

When most people think about getting a massage the first image that comes to mind is a nice relaxing visit to a spa. Or that great massage they got on vacation, possibly on the beach or poolside at a resort. Most likely the type of massage that you are picturing is Swedish massage or classic massage. This is the starting point for most people.

Swedish massage consists of five basic components; long flowing strokes (effleurage), kneading strokes (petrissage), rythmic tapping (tapotment), friction and vibration. Your therapist might use any combination of these at any time depending on the type of massage you need that day.

I think the easiest way to describe Swedish massage is to walk you through a typical visit to my studio. If this is your first visit I start with the paperwork. It's not a lot that has to be filled out but it's important that it's done. This lets me know what I need to be aware of physically and what you are expecting from our session. Then I will visit with you a little bit and see how you are feeling, what you would like worked on and if you have anything you want me to be aware of. We will also discuss the type of pressure you prefer. Some people will say they want a deep tissue massage when what they are really looking for is a firm Swedish massage. In a future blog I will let you know what the difference is. If this isn't your first visit we can skip right to the visiting portion. :-)

After we get the paperwork and the expectations out of the way I will leave the room. The standard line therapists use is for you to "undress to your level of comfort" and then you will get on the table in between the sheets. It doesn't matter to me if your level of comfort is completely nude or with your underwear on. Except for the body part I am working on at that moment the rest of you will be covered at all times. After you have had time to disrobe and get on the table I will make sure you are covered and I will come back in the room.

I use either a massage oil or a massage lotion depending on your preference. For our example I will just go over the beginning of the massage. Let's start with your back. I will undrape your back (fancy word for pull the sheet down) and tuck in the sheet around your waist. Using long gliding stokes (effleurage) and a little massage oil I will begin by warming up the tissue. This is where you start to relax. The long slow strokes are designed to bring blood to the surface of the tissue and to warm the area before any deeper work is done. But what happens to the person on the table (you lucky client you) is your breathing starts to slow and starts to even out. It's a lovely phenomenon. After the tissue is warm I might move on to some friction or some kneading (petrissage) depending on what your muscles have told me.

Did you know that massage therapists are talking to your muscles as they begin the massage? Now you do. While I am warming the tissue I am feeling for any tightness or congestion or any knots that might need worked out. Often I will have clients tell me that they couldn't believe I knew just where to work. It's not magic, though I wish it were! Any trained therapist can usually tell by the way you hold yourself during the intake interview where you carry your tension. And if the intake didn't give it away, those warming strokes will.

This combination of warming strokes and then deeper work is used from head to foot on you while you relax. If you want to fall asleep, go ahead. I will wake you up when it's time to turn over. You don't have to be awake to get the benefit of the massage. In fact, if your body needs sleep then sleep and a massage will do you wonders!

During a typical hour long Swedish massage session you will have your back, legs, feet, arms, neck, shoulders and head all massaged. Each session has its own rhythm and each therapist has their own style. Odds are you will never get the same massage twice. Not even if you see the same therapist for years. One day you might need more work on your shoulders, one day on your legs. You might be having a lot of stress at work and want some extra time on your head and neck.

Each massage is customized. Each experience is uniquely your own. And since it's your own you get to call the shots. Like to chat? We will chat. Like silence? Silence is yours. I usually play either classical music or the ubiquitous adult contemporary, but you can choose that as well. In fact if you want we can plug your iPod into the dock and play your own play list. Always remember this is your time. You call the shots. I want you to enjoy your time and leave the studio feeling better than you did when you arrived.

When the massage is over, I will leave the room and give you time to get off the table and get dressed. This is still your time, so take as much or as little as you need. Stretch out and get your bearings as you sit up. Take your time. When you are dressed again I will come back in the room and talk to you about how you are feeling. I will also make sure you have water in your car, if you don't I will send you home with a bottle. This is a really important step. Drink a lot of water after your massage. This will prevent "massage hangover" the next day. We can now reschedule for your next appointment and I will see you again soon!

Now you know the basics of Swedish massage. Any questions?

1 comment: